LEGACY RIDES ON

IMG_1017

Serena Roundy, pictured above, is preparing to make an epic ride throughout the northwest in an effort to raise funds for an after school program for underprivileged children.

-

By KATRINA WARDLOW
The Voice

OAKLEY – Another epic bike ride is coming up in the life of Oakley native Serena Roundy – only this time she hopes to raise funds for an after school program she has dreamed of creating which helps
underprivileged kids.

She is tracing the same path her father Jon Roundy took in 1962, when he took a 3,000 mile bike ride as a pre-med student at Utah State University.

The ride will begin in Logan Utah, and take her up to Seattle Washington, down thru the Oregon Coast to California. She will end the ride in San Diego, California.

According to her father, Jon, his daughter will not be alone on the journey.

“I will be riding with her on the first leg of the trip,” he said.

“I am 50 years older and 50 pounds heavier but I hope to keep up with her on the Logan to Jackson Hole part.”

“Serena’s six sisters and one brother will also accompany her on parts of the trip,” said Jon.

Roundy is also trying to make the trip in less time and cover more miles than her father did on his trip

Roundy's father, Jon, when he made the same ride 50 years ago.

through the states. Jon made the trip in in five weeks, traveling around 80 to 100 miles a day.

Serena hopes to cover 200 miles a day and make the ride in three weeks.

Jon will also be riding the very same bike he rode in 1962 when he made the trip alone.

“I am getting really excited about making this trip.” Serene Roundy said.

“ I think its going to be great to retraced the epic ride my father did so many years ago.”

According to her father, Roundy and several other teaching friends are trying to raise funds to start a new after-school program since there is so much overcrowding in the ones available in her area.

The program will be a non-profit organization.

“After one-on-one tutoring on schoolwork, qualified counselors will help make plans to adjust attitudes, behaviors and communication between the youth, their families and friends.” Serena said.

“Students will also learn about themselves and their capabilities through biking, rock climbing, skiing or snowboarding, backpacking, and many other adventures along with safety techniques involved in each of those extreme sports. “

After graduating from Oakley High School, she attended Brigham Young University-Idaho where she received a degree in Math Education. Serena has taught five years in Salt Lake City, Utah in both public education and residential treatment settings.

Anyone wishing to help Roundy fulfill her dream can go to the website <youthadventureadvocacy.org> and make pledges for each mile she rides or mail pledges to P.O. Box 3,

Jon Roundy, Serena's father, plans to make the first leg of the ride with his daughter, riding the same bike he used on his ride while attending college.

Midvale, Utah, 84040. If anyone has any questions they may also call Serena at 801-889-7064.

Leave a Comment

Switch to our mobile site